KitchenIQ 50009 Edge Grip 2 Stage Knife Sharpener
Use the unique edge grip feature of the KitchenIQ knife sharpener to sharpen on the edge of the table.Two stages of knife sharpening in one small but effective sharpener.
4.4/5 Stars From 63,522 Buyers
This product currently ranks in our knife sharpener buying guide.
KitchenIQ 50009 Knife Sharpener Small Size, Big Impact
Don’t be fooled by this cutie’s little stature. This pint-sized gadget is a culinary workhorse. Sharpen your favorite knife fast and simply in the comfort of your own home. Use the KitchenIQ Edge Grip to swiftly sharpen broken or dull blades, as well as for general knife maintenance. With a few pushes through the coarse slot, this gem sharpens damaged and dull blades. This slot contains carbide blades at predetermined angles for swiftly reviving a dull knife. The knife edge is then rapidly finished and polished with a few pulls through the tiny hole. The compact size of the Edge Grip is excellent for putting in your knife drawer and for anybody with a small kitchen or limited storage space.
Work Efficiently in the Kitchen
Who doesn’t want to be more efficient in the kitchen? It’s a good idea to maintain your blades sharp. Don’t let them become stale. With its soft ceramics, the Edge Grip’s Fine slot is perfect for routine knife maintenance. These ceramics will polish and sharpen the knife edge. So, every time you use the knife, pass it through this slot. A sharp knife greatly expedites kitchen prep labor.
The Edge Grip feature allows for greater flexibility during sharpening.
The Edge Grip has a one-of-a-kind feature dubbed ‘edge grip.’ What exactly does this mean? Well, the bottom of the sharpener has been constructed to rest on the edge of the counter top or table. What is the benefit of this? When sharpening a large chef’s knife with a smaller sharpener, you may accidentally drag the tip of the knife across the counter surface. This can harm the knife or make the countertop worse. Sharpening the knife on the edge with the edge grip allows it to pull through the slots from heel to tip. Of course, you may continue to use the Edge Grip on top of the surface, but isn’t it wonderful to have some flexibility while sharpening if necessary? The bottom is composed of a nonslip substance, allowing for safe and secure sharpening.
Advantages of the KitchenIQ Edge Grip
Sharpens straight edged double-beveled Euro / American style knives with a one-of-a-kind design.
Two sharpening stages in one little compact device at a fantastic price!
Carbide blades in the coarse sharpening slot quickly sharpen dull or damaged knives with only a few pulls.
Ceramic rods from Fine Slot are great for completing and polishing the edge, as well as for mild touch-ups to an already sharp knife.
Edge Grip Bottom enables for steady sharpening on the counter top or the counter top’s or table’s edge.
Smith’s Consumer Products, Inc., the Edge Experts Since 1886, designed this product in the United States.
Stainless steel embellishments with a gentle touch.
We spent 3.6 hours reading reviews from customers who purchased this product. Here is a summary of what they had to say:
9 Reasons To Buy
- Many purchasers complimented the durability of the KitchenIQ 50009 knife sharpener, stating that it has been in use for multiple years in their household.
- A majority of the purchasers stated the product works very well, especially considering the price point of this knife sharpener versus more expensive alternatives.
- Almost all reviewers were very satisfied with the value received in the KitchenIQ 50009, based on comparable sharpeners.
- Users complimented how easy this product is to use.
- A majority of the reviews from older buyers stated they were able to use this product with ease, compared to other sharpeners requiring more labor and force than they could give towards sharpening knives.
- A few purchasers of the KitchenIQ 50009 knife sharpener mentioned they needed to use the coarse sharpener instead of the fine sharpener side, due to not having sharpened their knives for quite some time, but the sharpener did in fact sharpen their dull knives.
- Some reviewers of the knife sharpener mentioned this product saved them from needing to dispose of old knives they thought were unsalvageable.
- Many reviewers stated that this product paid for itself after one use, in comparison to paying a vendor to sharpen their knives for them, creating an outstanding value.
- Nearly every positive review of the KitchenIQ 50009 Knife Sharpener mentioned their skepticism of whether this product would work as expected, was quickly met with overall satisfaction after using it the first time.
5 Reasons NOT To Buy
- Some reviewers mentioned that this knife sharpener caused damage to their knives. We could not determine if the product was used as directed in their reviews, which did not allow us to confirm if the product was flawed, or their method of using the product.
- A few reviewers mentioned that this product is not eligible for returns, based on it’s low cost. We could not find proof of this being true, based on the manufacturer offering a 1 year limited warranty. We suspect this to be untrue.
- Some reviews mentioned rust forming or being present when the product arrived. After further investigation, it seems that brazing during manufacturing of the product sometimes leaves traces of the brazing on the finished product, which could be mistaken for rust.
- A few reviews of the KitchenIQ 50009 Knife Sharpener mentioned this product did not compare well to using sharpening stones. We feel that these reviews are generally unfair, because those who prefer to use sharpening stones instead of a knife sharpener like this, would generally not be looking for this type of a product as a solution for their knife sharpening needs.
- Some reviewers mentioned that the sharpener does not work well, after the ceramic blades wear down. They mentioned a design change by the manufacturer from previous versions, which may cause long term durability issues with this product.
Product Research Summary
My overall conclusion of the KitchenIQ 50009 Knife Sharpener, is that it is potentially an outstanding knife sharpener for its price point, in comparison to other more expensive versions.
While some of the reviews mentioned durability issues for long term use, we just can’t agree with the reviewers based on this product costing between $9 – $11, and feel the reviewers leaving negative comments and reviews had expected more than what they spent for the product.
The manufacturer gives a 1 year limited warranty on this product, which guarantees the workmanship and end product, which seems like it would cover what most of the negative reviewers seemed to complain about.
85% of the reviews (63,522 total) carry positive reviews for the KitchenIQ 50009 Knife Sharpener, while negative reviews account for 6% of the purchasers, leaving 9% with average ratings. Based on the overall positive reviews and the low cost of the product, we would say it’s worth giving this product a try, while using caution and following the instructions for use.
Manufacturer: Smith’s Consumer Products, Inc.
Country of Origin: China
Item Model Number: 50009
Product Dimensions: 4.34 x 2.09 x 5.93 inches
KitchenIQ 50009 Weight: 0.5 ounces
Assembly Required: No
Warranty: 1 year limited warranty
Material Care: Hand wash
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: Will this sharpen serrated blades?
A: According to the package, you can sharpen serrated blades on the fine side of the sharpener only.
Q: Is this suitable for Japanese knives, which have a 16-17 degree angle rather than a 20-22 degree angle?
A: No, it will cause the knife to be angled incorrectly. In addition, Shun provides free knife sharpening; all you have to do is pay S&H.
Q: Will this be more effective than traditional sharpening Steel?
A: Sharpening steel does not remove material from the knife, therefore if it is dull, steel will not be able to sharpen it again. The steel’s primary function is to “shape” the knife’s edge by deforming material along the knife’s edge to smooth it off.
I discovered that the KitchenIQ 50009 is the simplest and least expensive way to sharpen a knife. This gadget, on the other hand, is intended for those who are right-handed. It would be a bit hard to use if you were left-handed. Place this instrument on a sturdy surface and grasp it with your left hand. Insert the knife into the coarse slot closest to the handle, apply a little downward pressure, and pull the knife toward you. (Excessive pressure might cause your knife to gouge due to uneven material removal.) Lift the knife up and repeat as needed until you can easily cut a sheet of paper. This procedure should result in some metal shaving. Once the knife is sharp, use the other slot or steel to smooth off the knife edge.
Q: What is the difference between this and the accusharp? At first appearance, it appears to be more suitable for older individuals and persons with overworked hands. Please disregard the question if you don’t know the answer.
A: I’m not familiar with Accusharp. I have MS and my hand agility has deteriorated. I was given a set of knives a few years ago that never sliced worth a crap. They were able to remove a layer of your finger quite neatly after treatment with the KitchenIQ. Simple and effective.
Q: I’m searching for a sharpener for my pocket knife and hunting knives…will this work for them? Neither has serration.
A: I tested the sharpening on a variety of kitchen knives and it appeared to work well. I believe it would be suitable for pocket and hunting knives, especially given the low price.
Q: Is this applicable to filet knives?
A: Yes, I believe it would work on any knives except serrated ones. It’s tiny and works great for my hand, but I imagine if you have a huge hand, it could be a bit tough to hold in your hand. Aside from that, I adore it and use it on a daily basis.
4.4/5 Stars From 63,522 Buyers
This site receives commission from vendors, should you click through and purchase from one of the vendors we review products for. Yokuna will never give false favorable reviews in exchange for commissions, as we strive to give honest reviews of every product we research. We promise.
In Depth Research
We spend an average of 10 to 20 hours reading reviews from consumers for each kitchen product we review.
Simple & Straight Forward
Each kitchen product reviewed, will have simple pros & cons to save you time in your search.